I was browsing through my deviantArt follows and encountered a very good piece of artwork by a dear friend of mine, entirely black and white. I told him it made me envious to see how clean and neat his outlines came out, since I’m always so impatient with the Pen Tool in Photoshop and even then my linearts never come out the way I want them to.
He told me he was using Painter SAI to make the outlines, and I decided to give it a try.
Advantages of the software
- It has a pulse stabilizer, so even if you don’t work with paths using the Pen Tool in Photoshop, your lineart will come out pretty neat (of course, using a drawing tablet)
- Its use of the drawing brushed is a lot more user-friendly, with tons of easy-to-adjust properties
- It works with layers the same way Photoshop does
- It can export your work to various known formats like PSD, JPG, PNG, among others
- Its free
- It’s mainly for artistic purposes. Don’t expect it to replace your web design needs.
- It is a lot more limited, it has less tools and options than Photoshop
Oh, before we finish, let me share my finished artwork:
Artists, definitely give it a try. You won’t regret it